There are 1,738 two-year colleges and 2,968 four-year colleges and universities in the U.S. in 2011-2012, according to the U.S. Department of Education. Among the 4,000 some academic institutions, how many online searches are necessary before you decide where to apply? We provide school evaluations that help you decide easily.
The schools we evaluate are either ranked well academically and/or offer a quality education at an affordable price. We evaluate schools from various perspectives in order to give you a comprehensive view of what they offer. Don’t be fooled by a school’s ads.
University of California, Berkeley
- Setting: Urban
- Students Number: 37,565 (for 2014)
- College Type: Public
- Founded: 1868
- Acceptance Rate: 16%
- Crime on Campus: 140 criminal cases in 2014
- Crime off Campus: 53 criminal cases in 2014
- City Livability Index: 59 (out of 100)
- City Cost of Living: 131% higher than average
- Cost of Attendance 2015-16: undergraduate $67,000; graduate $58,000
- Student/Faculty ratio:17/1
- Financial Aid Available to International Students: Yes (Scholarships and Need-Based Awards).
- #1 public university in the nation, #20 overall—U.S. News and World Report (September 2015)
- #1 public university in the world, #3 overall—Shanghai Rankings (August 2016)
- #4 best value of 100 public colleges; UC Berkeley is the most selective university in the list—Kiplinger (2015)
- #1 top college in value and affordability—Obama Scorecard Colleges (October 2013)
- #6 in world reputation rankings—Times Higher Education (2015)
- #2 school for Computer Science majors, pay—PayScale.com (2015)
- #4 in academic reputation; #4 in faculty for Arts & Humanities—QS World University Rankings (2015)
- #2 in undergraduate business in the nation—U.S. News and World Report (2015)
- #1 in graduate chemistry, computer science, English, history and sociology in the nation—U.S. News and World Report (2015)
- #3 research college in the world—U.S. News and Worlds Report (2015)
- #8 university in the world and only U.S. public university in the top 10—Times Higher Education (2015)
- #10 Sierra Club Green School (August 2015)
- #8 law school in the nation—Top Law Schools (March 2015)
- #9 best value college—MONEY’s Best College (2015)
- Top 50 school that adds the most value—MONEY’s Best College (2015)
- Working with best brains – both faculty and student body.
- Excellent in most degree programs.
- Situated in megapolitan-San Francisco Bay area- having plenty cultural and natural amenities.
- Likely to have good “Return on Investment” on college education.
- Graduates with early career pay $60,400 per year and mid-career pay $120,000 per year.
- Great environment for entrepreneurship development.
- UC, Berkeley does not work with any commission-based study-abroad agent(s) or consultant(s).
Minimum LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT for Most Programs
80 IBT (or 550 PBT); 6.5 IELTS
LINKS TO LIST OF MAJORS
LINKS TO ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Source of Data:
- Student Number: U.S. Department of Education or a school’s website.
- Crime on/off Campus: U.S. Department of Education
- College’s ROI Data: U.S. Department of Education
- U.S. Census Bureau
- City Crime Data: FBI or Police Department of Each City
- Other: Schools’ Websites