Your Life, Your Stories.
What Education Can Do to Your Future? Recommended Reading:
Once Upon a Time…
Cultural & social diversity, different academic integrity & education systems, difficult making friends, stricter regulations:
(2) Mental Illness, Depression, and Suicide:
Depression could come naturally when you are facing all kinds of challenges after your arrival in the U.S. Once you are depressed, you may be at a high risk of suicide. Every U.S. college has mental health counseling services. Don’t be shy to ask for help because you are not alone. According to a CNN report, 31% of college students sought mental health counseling in 2012-13.
- The 10th suicide in three years due to academic stress
- MIT students step up to help with suicide prevention after seven classmates in two years end their lives
- Student death raises questions on withdrawal policies
(3) Committing crimes or falling victims of crimes:
When international students are out of their parents’ control, things could turn wrong easily. Their bizarre behaviors are beyond one’s comprehension. Here are some stories regarding international students turning into criminals or falling victims of crimes.
- Another Saudi Student Got Attacked in the U.S.
- Houston Consulate reveals details related to Saudi student’s death
- Ohio State University: Attacker killed, 11 hospitalized after campus attack
- Sentenced to prison for assault, teenage ‘parachute kids’ deliver warning to adults in China
- SUNY Oswego student from India charged with rape in dorm
- Foreign student shot dead in Little Havana after fight for his cellphone
- Four students from Saudi Arabia accused of rape
- US allows Saudi Prince to flee after he beat and raped 3 women in Beverly Hills mansion for days
(4) Cheating on exams:
(5) Working on campus
(6) Working off campus:
Foreign students at Washington colleges wonder: Are they still welcome? (This news article is not all about racism but reveals problems that international students currently have in Seattle, Washington.- Jan. 21, 2017 )
(8) Car Accidents:
(9) Job Hunting:
(10) About Love:
(11) Owning a Gun:
- Can an international student buy a gun in the U.S.?
- In gun-friendly Indiana, international students find licensing isn’t easy